Historic SchoolhouseNew Haven, Vermont

The goal in this historic preservation project was to retain the character of this prominently sited 1865 Vermont schoolhouse while at the same time adapting the building to meet current building codes and modern comfort levels.

Renovated to the Department of Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation, the converted schoolhouse now serves as a two-family home with each unit occupying an entire floor. Original exterior features such as the bell tower and elaborate trim and interior finishes including wood floors and plaster walls were rehabilitated. The addition of cellulose insulation, radiant heat and storm windows ensured that the schoolhouse would meet the requirements of modern living. This project was featured in the April, 1999 issue of Vermont Magazine.

Completed: 1997

Photography: Gary Hall

Builder: Bald Hill Builders